The frenetic music of the five-piece electro-pop-indie-rock band from Christchurch, New Zealand, Bang! Bang! Eche! (pronounced Bang Bang Etch), grabbed my attention even more than the slutty giraffe pictured on the cover of their self-titled EP. Their energetic shows with shouty vocals and dance-punk synth stabs make the hip kids dance wildly, jumping up and down like they’re on a pogo stick out of pure excitement. If fantastic noise-filled, high energy shows are your cup of tea, then you’ll fit perfectly amongst the raucous rabble at a Bang! Bang! Eche! gig.
“When the beats drop on the floor, you’ll be gaggin’ for some more…”- ’4 To The Floor’. Born to the world on May 7, 2007, Bang! Bang! Eche! have settled in nicely with their current line-up: Charlie (guitar), Perry (keyboards), James (drums), T’Nealle (bass) and Zac (vocals). We get the Bang! Bang! part, but what does Eche at the end of it mean? BBE’s guitarist/synth player, Charlie explains. “ECHE is native Maori for “awesome partytimes”!!! It actually connects quite well with our lyrics, as our lyrics for the EP were all about what will happen on the 21st of December 2012. Some people see it as the date of the apocalypse, but they are mainly just crazies who spend waaay to much time stayin’ up all night, drooling over conspiracy vids on YouTube while buzzing hard on Adderall. We see it as a celebration. Test Icicles will have gotten back together and we will be opening for them. With Anoraak. Or something like that. Either way, it will be awesome, and our lyrics were just trying to convey the atmosphere we can feel in our hearts when we dream about this future event.” Long live Test Icicles.
Of their lyrics, BBE says, “Now we’ve started writing really hiphop influenced songs, and the lyrics are more abstract.. we don’t even really know what they’re about.. We think we like lyrics better that way, it’s less “HERE KIDS, RELATE TO THIS”. No longer a secret to be kept just for Nu Zilland, Bang! Bang! Eche! are pushing their sound to new territories, including NYC for CMJ this coming October, followed by Europe and the U.K.! But before heading out, catch them Oct 17, 2008, for their last show in NZ with Modular’s Bang Gang Dj’s at the SOHOMO Birthday Extravaganza! Some serious banging is about to go down. Prepare for some face melting.
10 fun facts about BANG BANG ECHE!!!!!
01. We started out in March 07, after some bands that we were previously in (a hip hop crew, an indie-house duo and an angry punk band) had disbanded!
02. Since then we’ve been touring NZ non stop, playing with superduper bands like Chk Chk Chk (NY), So So Modern, Cut Off Your Hands, Die Die Die, the Mint Chicks, and the Shocking Pinks etc etc!
03. Our synth player Perry used to be a prodigal drum & bass DJ named ‘Vitamin P’ when he was 6.
04. We released our debut self-titled EP in May 2008! You can download the whole thing for free, from our myspace at myspace.com/bangbangeche
05. Our first two ever singles ’4 To The Floor’ and ‘Nikee’ went straight to #1 on the bNet (NZ college network). The third single ‘Time Mismanagement’ followed shortly after at #4, and even got to #2 on the mainstream Radioscope charts!!
06. Our bassist T’Nealle is fucking brutal. Her reputation in underground fighting circles is unparalleled. Usually she disappears for a few hours when we have just played a show and comes back with a blinging gold belt like wrestlers have, but waaay more ghetto. She has eight pairs of grills that all say “CRUNQ”. (T’Nealle is also said to have written two albums of new material in one week. crazy? yes.)
07. In late October, we are moving to New York to live with our hot managers Moose and M-Liz for a few weeks!!! We are playing at the CMJ Music Festival – you can see us at the CMJ NZMusicCommision Showcase with Cut Off Your Hands, the Ruby Suns, and Die Die Die.
08. After NYC we play some dates in Europe, and stay in London for 2 weeks! Check myspaz for dates!
09. At the same time in London, the ’4 To The Floor//Fingers In The Till’ 7” vinyl is being released by Zarcorp Records!
10. After Europe, we then return to NZ to play the Rhythm & Vines festival in Gisbourne on new years eve!!
Bang! Bang! Eche! live at Mighty Mighty